Archive website
You are viewing the archive website of The Lewisville Texan Journal. This site only has our content from prior to May 10, 2016.
Return to our current website

Trigger man Stanley gets 75 years for Myles murder

Blogs and Columns
Posted by WhosPlayin on 2016/5/6 4:12:31 (2132 reads)

Open in new windowHis accomplice got life in prison without parole on a capital murder rap, but the man who actually pulled the trigger was found guilty of a lesser charge of murder, and sentenced to 75 years.

By STEVE SOUTHWELL

Monday, a Denton County jury sentenced Demico Stanley, 23, to 75 years in prison, after finding him guilty of murdering Richard Myles last year in Lewisville.

In November, Stanley’s accomplice Adrian Quigley, 23 of The Colony, was found guilty of capital murder in the same crime, receiving an automatic life sentence.

Both men had been charged with capital murder.

Denton County Assistant District Attorney Michael Graves told The Lewisville Texan Journal that the capital murder charge was due to the murder being combined with a robbery.

“We had additional witnesses on Quigley that were able to better prove the robbery part,” said Graves. “The murder part was never in question.”

“In Adrian Quigley’s trial, we had a person he had called the day before, and he was asking that person to go rob Richard [Myles], but that person said ‘no,’ and so that lent a lot more credence that this was a plan all along to rob [Myles].”

“Demico [Stanley] was just kind of along for the ride, and he was the gunman,” Graves explained. “We thought all along that it was just a robbery gone bad.”

Graves said that they were just unable to prove to this jury that there was a robbery as well.

“We respect the jury’s verdict. We realized we had an uphill battle with his case on the additional burden of proving robbery. We’re very glad they gave him 75 years; he’s a very violent man.”

Stanley did not testify in his own defense. He had given a statement to Lewisville Police that he had shot Myles in self-defense, but the jury didn’t buy that.

The shooting happened April 7, 2015. The two had gone to the Lewisville apartment of Richard Lee Myles, ostensibly to sell him a half pound of marijuana.


Quigley told police that Stanley was the trigger man, and that he had shot Myles when Myles reached below the kitchen sink to access money to pay for the sale.

The victim’s 2-year-old son was in the apartment when his father was shot, but was not hurt in the incident, and was taken in later by relatives. Graves said the child, now almost four years old, is living with his mother, Katina Washington, in Louisiana.

Graves told The Lewisville Texan Journal last year that he believed Quigley did not have a gun on him that day, and may not have even known that Stanley would shoot Myles. But Graves said prosecutors did believe that the two were there specifically to rob Myles. Myles’ safe was found open and empty, and witnesses saw Quigley leave with a green lunch bag that Myles was known to carry his money and marijuana in.

Quigley was also shot during the incident, and told police that it was Stanley who hit him while shooting at Myles. Prosecutors believed that hitting Quigley was accidental.

Under the Texas penal code, if the two were at the apartment to commit a felony such as the robbery, both parties can be held criminally responsible for the murder.

Quigley and Stanley both fled the scene, and left town after the murder. Quigley turned himself in days after the murder, and Stanley was arrested in New Orleans, and brought back to Texas.

In a Facebook post Tuesday, the District Attorney’s office publicly praised prosecutors Graves and Matt Shovlin for presenting the case, which included evidence of Stanley’s prior violent crimes, and new offenses he committed in jail. They also praised investigators Greg Stern and Jack Grassman, the Lewisville Police Department, and Victim Coordinator Amber Dunn for their work on the case.

Quigley will not be eligible for parole, and will spend the rest of his life in prison, according to Graves.

Stanley will be eligible for his first parole hearing in the year 2046— but any parole board would look at his behavior in prison. He is off to a rocky start, having spit on one of his jailers and assaulted another while awaiting his trial.

He pled guilty on those charges, and got sentences of 4 years each, to be served concurrently with his 75 year sentence.

“Hopefully this trial brings closure to the family of Richard Myles, and they can move forward,” said Graves.

“Both Adrian Quigley and Demico Stanley were held responsible, and we feel that they’ll spend the rest of their lives in prison.”

- Rating: 0.00 (0 votes) - {$lang_ratethisnews}


Other articles
2016/5/11 3:57:48 - New website
2016/5/10 2:00:00 - Vista Ridge Mall in receivership, but open for business
2016/5/8 6:50:00 - Help wanted: Journalist
2016/5/8 4:10:00 - Three-year-old struck by boat propeller is son of Lewisville firefighter
2016/5/7 23:40:00 - May 7 Lewisville and LISD Election Results.


The Lewisville Texan Journal archives are a service of Lewisville Public Media Corp.
Login to Comment
User:
Pass:
Remember me
Lost your password?
Create New Account